She'll be riding six white horses when she comes!

My daughter is sitting on the floor playing with a musical toy. She's rocking back and forth singing, "When she comes, when she comes, when she coooooomes!" I can't think of anything else, so that'll work...

Name:
Location: Mesquite, Texas, United States

As an employee for Frito Lay, I deliver chips to grocery stores, merchandise the product, and control the inventory. I put in way too many hours a day because I pay too much attention to the nit-picky little details. And I'm slow. But I get to drive a 24 foot long straight truck, which requires not a CDL but a certification to drive it. It's fun. I wish all I had to do was drive!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

"So little to see and so much time! Wait, reverse that..." Willy Wonka

Why oh why am I doing this now?! I had a long day at work, not enough sleep, and it's getting late already. I need to be in bed getting some sleep!

Ok, a scenario: 3 times in the past couple of weeks, someone has approached me in a store to ask for help with something. The first one was a woman. She was in a wheel chair and seemed slightly retarded. The second one was a young hispanic man who knew very little English. The third was your average guy, here in Texas "average" is country-western hick. OK. The one thing that happened with all three? They all called me "sir". The woman pulled up behind me in her wheel chair and said, "Sir? Sir?" She needed me to reach something for her. Seeing her disability I dismissed the gender title mix-up. The hispanic man I can easily figure not knowing English would get confused. After all, senor, senora, in Spanish. Why not sir, sirra, in English? He just said, "Excuse me sir, you speak English?" OK, anyway, I dismissed him, too. The third... I was hurrying one way, he was coming from the other direction, also hurrying. As I started to pass him he whirled around suddenly - "Excuse me, sir, do you know where-" At which I kind of exploded, "Do I look like a sir?!! I mean, this is the third time in two weeks! I'm wearing a skirt!Do I look like a sir??!!!" I was laughing and grinning as I hollered good-naturedly, it was so oddly amusing to me. The guy was laughing, too, and apologizing, he wasn't looking, he didn't mean to - ok, ok. Anyway.

The day after that I told the story to three different people. The first was one of my back-door receivers, who snorted at people's stupidity. The second was my best friend there at Frito-Lay who laughed and teased and said he would call me "sir" from now on. The third was another back-door receiver who analyzed the situation, pointed out my polo shirts are more on the masculine style, and although the hair, straight and cut just below the ears, might look boyish, it's still well within socially accepted standards as feminine. Also, he said despite feminism, when people go looking for help, they generally end up addressing a guy. I might argue with that one, but I'm terrible at asking for help, so I guess I wouldn't know.

Well, I guess that's all the really interesting stuff that's happened lately. The rest is the same ol' thing. The bosses made changes to all the routes and that took effect this past Sunday. My route went from a three-store route to a four-store route. So if I want to do this job without killing myself, I will have to figure out some short-cuts! Monday I only had one cart-load of product going into each store, plus back-stock to go through. Today I had two per store, plus the back-stock. Tomorrow I have to change the displays in two stores since their weekly ad comes out tomorrow. It has to be done before the stores open, so I need to go to bed because I have to start early!!! So good night!

Liz

PS. I know the time below says this was posted in the 4 o'clock hour. That's like, Atlantic time? It is 7:25PM CST now. And yes, I go to bed early. I get up unbelievably early, like 1 or 2AM!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home